
I HATE cold. I HATE heat too. I just like it to be "perfect." Don't we all?
Adam has to choose his vacation weeks in late October for the following year. I never know what to tell him to pick (because he always asks me). I said, "Take off the week that your mom is here (Feb).









Take off the last week of the year (my dad always did that, and it was fun having him home when we were home on break). And for your third week????" I was hoping he would have something he HAD to go to so I didn't have to pick another week. The only thing he knew were a couple things in the summer with the youth group, but unfortunately the guys with higher seniority took those weeks already. Finally, I said, "Take off the third week in March because that is my Spring Break. Even though it isn't winter yet, I am sure we will need a break at that point in the winter." Little did I know...
After making it through January with only Adam having a nasty cough, maybe I got too cocky? We all got sick in just a rotating schedule that went on and on and on and on and on... There was strep, ear infections, tonsilitis, more strep, more ear infections, many fevers, and Sarah tried to cut 1st year molars too! It was miserable. As the third week of March approached, we started to get better, Timothy finished his 3rd round of antibiotics, and I tried to figure out what we were going to do for a VACATION!
Unfortunately, there were a couple of wrenches in the works. First of all, we have committed ourselves to getting out of debt. Every financial seminar/talk I have ever gone to says the same thing, "Don't spend what you don't have." So, I guess Disney World is out. Secondly, Caleb really wanted to go to a classmate's birthday party on the Monday evening. This would mean the vacation would have to be short, sweet, and a steal!
I had the brilliant idea of spending the weekend with the Lang Gang in DeWitt, IA, but when I called they were having company during that weekend. Plus, Caleb would have to miss the birthday party. We decided to do it another time.
Then, Sunday evening it came to me. Why don't we visit the Pribbs in St. Louis? We miss them so bad, and guess what? We could stop at the Lang Gang's on the way through during the week. Then, on the way back we could go to DeWitt Lutheran Fellowship to see the Lang Gang and Paul & Betti for church on Sunday. Brilliant idea. Thank you, Lord! Now to make the phone calls...
On Monday, after confirmation from all parties we decided to leave on Tuesday. For any of you who know me, I am far from spontaneous. It is kind of fun sometimes to do different things.
Tuesday brought a whole lot of obstacles including our minivan overheating before we even started the trip. The original plan was to take the van to Minneapolis and rent a car to avoid a huge car expense due to the miles. Was this the "huge car expense?" Do we gamble and not rent a car? I may be spontaneous, but I am NO gambler. We rented a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan.

The new features were fun to play with, I must admit.
We finally made it down to DeWitt at 2:30am. All the porch lights were on. Thanks Heidi!

We slept. Played outside. Ate breakfast with Pastor Jay. Found out that Paul & Betti were in Israel. Went to a consignment shop. Played at a park. Waited for everyone to come home from school, and left for St. Louis.

We arrived at the Pribbs at about 8pm. You know you are good friends when you can just pick up your conversations where you left off after not seeing each other for what seems like forever. Everyone may be older. Kids may be taller. But it's like we were never apart. Love you Melissa!
Most of the photo highlights are on Facebook. So I won't go into a lot of detail, but we jumped on the trampoline, sweated in 82 degree weather IN MARCH, went to a Jefferson Barracks park, went to the St. Louis Zoo, jumped on the trampoline, got stuck in St. Patrick's Day Parade traffic, played Wii, grilled outside, jumped on the trampoline, shopped at Target, and did I mention jumping on the trampoline?

The kids really had a great time playing together, and the adults really got a chance to be refreshed (except Brad did have school while we were there). I can't thank them enough for letting the Ekelund family circus invade.

We left on Saturday after lunch to go back to DeWitt and found a Godfather's Pizza stand in a Convenience store when we got there. We hung out with the Gang that evening, and after the kids finally went to bed, Pastor Jay and Heidi resumed their marriage counseling with us that they started over 1o years ago. :)
It was so great to go to church in DeWitt. They were such a warm church family and welcomed us throughout the morning. Pastor Jay preached and Heidi taught Sunday School. Too bad we missed Pastor Paul and Betti this time, but there can always be a next time...

We ended up leaving DeWitt quite late in order to get home at a decent hour. I knew that would happen. It is so hard to say goodbye. Thank you so much Lang Gang for making us feel so welcome in your home.

Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment